FHA – Alternative Mortgage Options
Borrowers looking for an alternative to the FHA loan program can now consider a new loan option from FannieMae and FreddieMac.
FreddieMac offers the Home Possible Advantage loan program
FannieMae offers the Home Ready loan program
Details on these programs are below:
Both Home Ready (FannieMae) and Home Possible Advantage (FreddieMac) are loan programs for borrowers that want an alternative to FHA with little money down.
- Less down payment (3%)
- Assistance with closing costs by utilizing a seller concession up to 3%. (Note: If a borrower puts at least 10% down, a 6% seller concession is allowed.)
- The Home Ready program has a less stringent appraisal than an FHA.
- This program has income limits.
- First time homebuyers will be required to complete an informational course online.
- Look for anything that can be considered unsafe.
- Make sure all utilities are functioning. Plumbing, heating, hot water, sinks, toilets.
- Make sure the house has a stove. A refrigerator is not necessary at the time of inspection
- If the house is winterized, it must be de-winterized before the appraiser inspects it. The utilities must be turned on and tested to confirm habitability.
- Is there mold in the basement?
- If you observe what appears to be a new deck, ask if it has a “certificate of occupancy”. It will be a problem and could postpone a closing a month.
- If you observe what appears to be a finished basement, ask if it has a “certificate of occupancy”. It will be a problem and could postpone the closing a month or more.
- If a property has a “shared well”, ask if there is a maintenance agreement and obtain it
- If a property is on a private road, ask if there is a maintenance agreement and obtain it
- Verify the property and school taxes. If inaccurate taxes are submitted, it will cause the “debt to income ratio” to be wrong and could cause a declination of the loan. The ratio could exceed the maximum limit.
- A client must be at least 4 years from a bankruptcy to be eligible
- A client must be at least 4 years from a foreclosure or deed in lieu of foreclosure.
For additional specific information about this program
contact a Windsor Realty Professional
Windsor Realty Services Inc.
74 Webster Lock Road
Rosendale, NY 12472
CYBERSECURITY: Beware of Cyber Fraud. You should never wire money to any bank account that this office provides to you via email without first speaking with our office. Further, do not accept emailed wire instructions from anyone else without voice verification even if an email looks like it has come from this office or someone involved in your transaction. Call us first at a number you know to be correct for this office to verify the information before wiring any money. Be particularly wary of any request to change wire instructions you already received.